Saturday, April 11, 2009

What I Buy Wednesdays: April 8th 2009

Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Surrendered My Life to Comics

-->
I looked at the release list this week, and figured “Oh, this will be a small week.” But everything's relative, I guess:
Ignition City #1 of 5 (Avatar): Despite my belief that he's the finest author working in comics, I don't actually follow each and every one of Warren Ellis' creator-owned endeavors. Instead, I find solace in the knowledge that they exist, and that whenever I need a shot of romantically pessimistic fiction in my life, his extensive backlist will be awaiting me. This issue demanded my attention, though, as it was a wholly fresh take on steampunk, updated to the mid-20th century. After reading it, I would compare it favorably to Ellis' masterpiece in collaboration with Chris Weston, Ministry of Space. Similarly to that work, it is a ficticious history of the 20th century, wherein space flight became possible perhaps at the dawn of the century, and popularized by the mid 1940s. In this book it is so commonplace that it has actually become unfashionable, and thus this is the story of the last woman whose dreams lie in the stars. Ellis is smarter than you or I, and if we don't try to siphon knowledge from his retro-future brainslice, I fear we will all become outmoded.


Superman: World of New Krypton #2 (DC Comics): I'm not following the ins-and-outs of this latest Superman megasaga, but the high concept of Superman on a planet of Supermen intrigues me enough to draw in. James Robinson and Greg Rucka are commodities as writers, but it is actually the work of artist Pete Woods that made this a must-buy for me. Woods was fantastic on the Up, Up, and Away Superman arc of a few years past, and has really established himself as the Superman artist I most closely associated with the modern era. I just dig his sensibilities. This New Krypton status quo wouldn't work as a “forever” sort of deal, but it makes for one of the most interesting Superman stories I've ever read.



Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1 of 5 (Marvel): First of all, I'm disgusted with myself that I didn't recognize the cover work of one of my all-time favorites, Mr. Mike McKone, until I read the credits. I'm supposed to be a pro, goddamnit, I can't allow such rookie mistakes. I could blame the coloring for throwing me off, somehow, but I'm above such excuses. Anyway, the realization made me wonder why we aren't getting a Mike McKone penciled Deadpool book, and really why there is so little McKone interior work in general. I want more! Getting back to this book, Mike Benson and Carlo Barberi have already done some work on 'Pool in recent months, it seems editorial decided to get them to push more Deadpool product, and release this mini to supplement the main ongoing series. As a reader who spent years pining for more 'Pool, color me satisfied, (which I assume is some sort of turquoise). This book doesn't do a ton to separate itself from the main series, but it does prove that old saying- more is more. And this is more.

The Amazon #2 of 3 (Dark Horse): Seagle and Sale are veteran industry all-stars, and as a young, sometimes aspiring comics' mind I cannot overstate how valuable it is to see their early efforts. It isn't that the mini is rife with flaws to harp on, it is the fact that the book is so pure, and the concepts and methods so primal, that it makes a great tool to see how creators create. It is also interesting, and kind of sad, that in the late 80's two young creators could put out a work like this, and expect it to be somewhat visible. Nowadays, this book might be DOA, due to its non-adventure story and that it maybe has a social agenda, if not for the names adorning the cover. That might be a tad fatalistic, but given that this series is about the destruction of the rainforests, that might just be appropriate.


Green Lantern #39 (DC Comics): I was so ready to dislike Philip Tan's work on this book. I'm not sure I had any rational reason, except that the preview art I'd seen had been very rough, and was worried his style might be too jagged for this book. I was wrong. Tan is really consistent with his work here, and the matching with inker Jonathan Glapion is pitch perfect. It is detailed without being overdrawn, and moody enough for this story about the emotional spectrum. I'm no longer surprised by how much I enjoy this mega-scale Blackest Night storyline, I only wish I could stay away from it long enough to build a bit of a que, and read multiple parts at a time. But I'm just not that patient.

Wolverine: Weapon X #1 (Marvel): If you were Marvel, and you had a Wolverine movie about to be released, wouldn't you flood the market with related product, and cash in your cash cow? Don't bullshit, you would. Jason Aaron won me over with his work on Wolverine in the Manifest Destiny miniseries for the way he made Logan fully interact with the city of San Fransisco, (this was extra vital to me, given that I lived there for a time). He collabo'd with artist Ron Garney on a short run of the main ongoing series a while back, and the powers-that-be decided it would make sense for the two of them to launch their own book. This is well and good, except that Garney just launched a book with Greg Pak, Skaar: Son of Hulk, and I don't think his work was done there. It isn't a personal thing, I just think that if the care is taken to invest the time in launching a book with a writer and artist, it is a disservice to the process to pull part of that creative team after a mere few months. Weapon X is a bit more high profile, I suppose, so this pairing may be better fated for a longer run. Although that's really only warrented if they prove to be the best there is at what they do, and lord knows there's plenty of competition.
Secret Six #8 (DC Comics): Gail Simone makes me laugh. She made me laugh on Agent X, and she's been making me laugh with this assemblage of villains ever since she corralled them in the Villains United miniseries. When Deadshot goes on a date with three women in this issue, two of whom could likely kill him, I can't help but think how very much that is like my own life. True, two of these women are on a date with one another, but even that social incongruity echoes familiarly in my own life. You think I'm joking, but really, it happens to me all the time. Okay, fine, the only thing that happens all the time is I hang out with women who can kick my ass. What can I say? I probably learned to like that sort of thing from comics.

Dark Reign: Hawkeye #1 of 5 (Marvel): This is just the simple tale of a sociopathic muderer who has assumed the identity of a longstanding hero who was once a villain and the hilarious, bloody mixups that ensue. Andy Diggle seems to be a bit more freewheeling in his enjoyment of villainy here than he does in his recent Thunderbolts work, I would guess because the scale is much more focused here. This issue is just nonstop classic “Bullseye being Hawkeye,” rendered masterfully by one of my favs, Tom Raney. With diligent beat reporter Ben Urich hot on the case, I full expect to enjoy this entire mini.

Timestorm 2009-2099 #1 of 4 (Marvel): I can't escape my past; I loved Marvel's 2099 books when they came out. I didn't know how not to. I'm not defending this. Now that it's 2009, it seems appropriate that we celebrate this bygone era of comics, even if no one particularly misses it. With a beautiful cover that I'm going to guess is by Skottie Young (no credit is listed), and with interiors by the kinetic Eric Battle, I'm just enough of a sucker to want to see where this series goes.

No comments: